Susquehanna Beekeepers Association
The goal of the SBA is to educate association members and the public about honeybees, beekeeping and related arts, to provide a resource for established beekeepers and to aid new beekeepers in bee management techniques, to inform the public about the value of honeybees, and to promote beekeeping in general!
SBA's inclement weather policy mirrors that of Harford County Public Schools. If HCPS closes, our meeting for that evening is also canceled.
- March 11th, 2015 (Wednesday) at 7 p.m. - SBA General Meeting - David Papke, speaker
- April 8th, 2015 (Wednesday) at 7 p.m. - SBA General Meeting - TBA
- May 13th, 2015 (Wednesday) at 7 p.m. - SBA General Meeting - Peter Lindtner, Author of Garden Plants for Honey Bees Author will have books for sale at meeting.
- June 10th, 2015 (Wednesday) at 7 p.m. - SBA General Meeting - Kristen Traynor, Author of "Two million blossoms: discovering the medicinal benefits of honey" Ms. Traynor will be giving 2 presentations: One on varroa mites and second of natural beekeeping. Each presentation will last roughly 30 to 40 minutes.
Other Important Dates for SBA
SBA Introduction to Beekeeping
- Location: Harford County Community College
- Date: March 6th through April 17th, 2015
- Time: 7 p.m. to 9 p.m.
This class introduces students to the basics of beekeeping. Topics include starting a beekeeping business, assembling and maintaining equipment, examining honeybees, manipulating hives, and managing diseases and parasites that affect honeybees. Course fee includes a one year membership in the Susquehanna Beekeepers Association. Last session meets on Saturday, 9 a.m. - 3 p.m., and will be spent at a local bee yard for hands-on experience. (Adapted from HCCC Course Catalog)
SBA Swap Meet
- Location: Fallston United Methodist Church Lower Parking Lot
- Date: March 21st, 2015
- Rain Date: March 28th, 2015
- Times: Set Up 9:30 a.m
- Times: Meet 10 a.m through 11:30 a.m.
Experienced beekeepers do you have equipment that you no longer (or never) use? New beekeepers not sure where to get your equipment or what you really need? Come to the SBA swap meet! Bring gently used and clean equipment for sale. Venders will also be on site.
Other Dates of Interest
UMD Beginners Beekeeping Course
- Location: UMBC Bioscience Research Building : BRB 1101
- Date: March 28th, 2015 and March 29th, 2015
- Fee: On or Before March 7th, 2015 - $250 after March 7th, 2015 - $300
- Online Registration will close on March 22
Your Beginners Beekeeping Course registration includes all class sessions, a beginning beekeeping book, lunch and refreshment breaks daily. In this 2 day course for beginning beekeepers, students will learn how to: obtain bees, install bees in a hive box, necessary equipment, and what to do for a first year hive. Course registration includes all informational sessions, textbook, lunch for both days, and refreshment breaks. (Adapted from UMBC University of Maryland Beginners Beekeeping Course)